List of Course Learning Objectives for Introductory Environmental Geology
- The size of the human population, and the causes for change in its size in various areas of the world.
- The source, use, pollution and cleanup of the worlds water resources.
- The origin and evolution of soils, and the way soils are affected by agriculture.
- Current and alternative sources of food.
- The origin, advantages and disadvantages of current sources of energy.
- The origin, operation and potential for alternative sources of energy.
- The causes of extinction and the processes which control the rate of extinction.
- Factors which control the use of land by people.
- The geologic processes which cause earthquakes, and the potential for predicting and preventing such events.
- The origin, extraction and importance of ores.
- The composition, management and recycle potential for solid & hazardous waste material.
- The origin, evolution and productivity of coastal areas.
- The impact of human activities on coastal areas.
- The origin, effect and remediation of atmospheric pollution.
- How humans affect the earth's environment.